The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is a very highly regarded tankless water heater. Find out what all the fuss is about in our review.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus
Ease of Use
Built to Last
The Stiebel Eltron Tempa Plus is our favorite electric tankless water heater out there. It’s compact in design and packed full of useful features. The Tempra Advanced Flow Control ensures constant hot water with no cold water surprises, while electronic temperature controls give you complete authority over the water output. The Stiebel Eltron name is a big one in the water heater world and you can be assured of its build quality and reliability.
Don’t you just hate it when taking a shower in the morning becomes a struggle because of chilly water? Or when you try to wash the dishes, but your hands turn frosty in the process? A tankless water heater can give you hot water on demand, and save energy, money, and space in the process.
Today, we take a look at the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus electric tankless heater. It’s one of the leading electric tankless heaters for a reason. It’s smart, durable, and efficient, and if you don’t take our word for it, check out the amazing reviews it gets on sites like Amazon.
Before anything else, here is a little background on the manufacturer of the product. Stiebel Eltron is a German company which initially concentrated on manufacturing electric water heaters for the German market only. Eventually, they branched out and added more products related to heating and hand dryers.
They have been in the business since 1924 and are known for their high quality and well engineered products. This particular model is extremely well put together and can be relied upon to last. It comes with a 3 year warranty. Stiebel Eltron is the largest manufacturer of water heaters in Germany and has expanded manufacturing and sales in other parts of the world.
- The Tempra 24 Plus Electric can be described as a technologically advanced tankless water heater with an impressive energy saving performance. In fact, if you compare this tankless electric water heater to a conventional electric tank water heater, you will see that tankless systems will typically use 15 to 20% less energy, making it the better choice in terms of energy consumption.
Your savings can even be higher than that, depending on your usage. The savings is due to the fact that tankless electric water heater does not store full temperature hot water waiting to be used so there is no standby heat loss.
- It has Tempra Advanced Flow Control which is a trademark of Stiebel Eltron. This is exclusive and no other manufacturers have anything like it. It works by slightly reducing the water flow to keep up with the demand and still making sure that the water is still in the correct temperature. With this feature, there will be no more cold water surprises.
- It also has a constant temperature output even if the water flow varies and this steadiness is ensured by a smart microprocessor technology. This is another notable advantage of Stiebel Eltron’s tankless water heaters from other manufacturers. Their exclusive Electronic Temperature Control will allow you to set the knob to the water temperature that you want and get that temperature every time you open the hot water tap.
- It ensures unlimited hot water supply. Tank water heaters can deliver a lot of hot water at once, but once all the stored hot water is used up and depleted, you will get cold water all of a sudden and that is not a good experience. You pretty much have to wait for the tank to recover before you can enjoy hot water again. Just imagine that happening while taking a shower and even the thought can be shivering.
With the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus, your showers will always be hot, no matter how long it takes you to finish. Another great thing is, just when you thought you have used up everything, the person who will shower after you can also enjoy unlimited hot water supply.
The water flows at a maximum of 5.5 gallons per minute. This is a strong enough water flow to accommodate homes with two bathrooms. If you are in need of a faster water flow rate, check out this Rinnai model.
- It can be set to limit the maximum hot water to 109 degrees Fahrenheit. This is important because some hot water tanks have the possibility of scalding if there is no limit set.
- It saves space and reduces waste. Since the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is tankless, you will be able to free up a lot space if you switch from a bulky hot water tank. Even if it has a sleek and space-saving design, it can deliver an unlimited hot water supply to any type of residential or commercial space.
Also, since this tankless heater is small, manufacturing it only makes use of lesser raw materials compared to a tank. So, when it comes to disposal, it also has lesser impact on the environment as major components of the product are also recyclable.
- Because of its size, it can be installed closer to hot water taps so the wait for hot water becomes as short as possible. You do not need the basement or utility room to have it placed and installed.
- It has a reliable and quiet performance. The temperature and flow sensors of the product ensure that the temperature of incoming water and the water that it produces are always constant. Also, since it does not have any mechanical switches, it is completely silent while in action.
Pros and Cons
Like the great product features mentioned, there are also a lot of positive things that customers liked about the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric Tankless Heater:
- The unlimited supply and accuracy of the water temperature all throughout is a big plus, especially when showering. Nobody wants to enjoy a nice and warm shower only to be surprised by a sudden stream of the water just because the supply ran out.
- It can handle two or more fixtures at once, which means hot water can be used while one shower and another one washes the dishes.
- The water flow is not just consistent, it is also precise.
- It is well-crafted and has a sleek and compact design.
- It helps save a significant amount in the energy usage and in the electricity bill.
However, here are a few drawbacks:
- The electrical installation of the product can be a little more complicated than other heaters so additional electric work that requires hiring a professional may be needed.
- It needs a lot of power to get it working so it may not be compatible with older houses with less than 60-amp circuits. Upgrading to a new panel can be expensive, so you might want to check first before purchasing the heater.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I reset my Stiebel Eltron?
The process of resetting your Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is relatively simple as long as you’ve got the right tools. Follow these steps and everything should go smoothly:
- Turn off and lock out all circuit breakers to the tankless water heater to make sure no one can accidentally activate the unit while it is being serviced.
- Remove the screw on the right hand side of the tankless water heater and swing the front panel towards you and to the left to open the unit.
- The thermal safety resets are located at the top of each copper heating vessel.
- Using either an insulated tool or the erasure end of a pencil, depress the button.
- If you hear a click then the thermal safety switch has been reset.
- Close the front cover and reinstall the screw on the right hand side.
- Unlock and turn on all circuit breakers connected to the Tempra tankless water heater.
Can my Stiebel Eltron tankless electric water heater be installed outdoors?
Yes, you can, but we recommend also installing some form of protection on top of it to keep it safe from elements such as dust, water, low temperature, and critters.
If you have the possibility, install a shelter of some sorts over the heater. Or, at the very least, a refuge solely for rain. But please create something good, especially if you live in an area with harsh winters.
Does my Stiebel Eltron tankless electric water heater need to be vented?
No, these tankless electric units do not require any venting. This is one of the main advantages of tankless versions over their storage tank counterparts.
How frequently and how do I descale my tankless water heater?
We can’t give you a direct answer regarding this issue because it depends on the water hardness in your area. However, we recommend looking over some water softeners so you won’t have to.
The Bottom Line
The Stiebel Eltron 24 Plus reviews really well. It’s incredibly well put together, and can be built to last the tests of time. It features some intelligent electronics that ensure hot water is constant, and it can be relied upon to supply enough hot water in high demand situations. The Stiebel Eltron brand is highly regarded for the quality of their products, much like German cars are for their engineering.
For more reviews of tankless water heaters, check out our complete guide. We compare the top systems, before reviewing each one of them.
Tankless heaters are at risk from hard water, which can cause scale to build on the fixtures. If you have particularly hard water then our guide to water softeners could be useful to you.
Make sure you visit Water Filter Answers again soon for more top tips and reviews.