When it comes to lead in drinking water, you cannot be too careful these days. After realizing that lead poisoning was an issue we all had to consider in our everyday life, people started to look for the best water filter for lead removal they could find. To help you make the best choice regarding your health and wellbeing, we went out there and selected three lead water filters that we consider to be the best options for your home this year.
We will present you with comparisons, key features, most important tech specs, and, of course, detailed reviews of each product. One thing you need to understand before we begin is that while lead is one of the most common U.S. drinking water contaminants, it is also one of the harder ones to remove. You need a lead water filter capable of getting you rid of this highly toxic metal without much effort.
the maximum contaminant level goal for lead in drinking water at zero because lead is a toxic metal that can be harmful to human health even at low exposure levels. Lead is persistent, and it can bioaccumulate in the body over time.
Looking for the best water filter for lead removal may be a daunting experience, especially because not all water filtration technologies are capable of completely getting you rid of lead. For this reason, most specialists recommend you install multiple types of water filters in your home if you rely on well water for your daily needs or you live in an area where lead corrosion from the pipes is a common issue.
So let’s begin our guide today by presenting you with our top 3 choices when it comes to the best water filter for lead removal on the market today!
Best Lead Water Filters: Comparison Table
|iSpring RCC7 Reverse Osmosis System||CHECK PRICE|
|WaterChef C7000||CHECK PRICE|
|Filtrete Maximum||CHECK PRICE|
Find the perfect filter for lead removal with our pick of 3 of the best. At the end of this article, you will also learn why lead is so bad for your health, and what else you can do to prevent it from being a threat to your home.
The Best Water Filters for Lead Removal: Reviews and Recommendations
Let’s look at some of the top water filters that remove lead. We’ve included a range of water filtration methods, to suit every budget and lifestyle. But importantly, they are all certified by regulated bodies to filter lead.
Reverse osmosis (RO) is the most effective form of home water filtration. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends RO as being one of the top water filters for lead removal. In general, reverse osmosis is the number one choice for cleaning your drinking water of most contaminants and pollutants.
This iSpring RCC7 High Capacity Under Sink 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Filtration System is one of the most popular home systems for lead removal. It features great value, and also comes with amazing customer feedback on Amazon. We discussed this particular model with a previous occasion, so you can check out the full iSpring RCC7 under-sink RO water filter review as well, especially to learn more about its installation, pros, cons, and performance.
One of the most important things you need to consider in water filtration lead removal is a certificate. Like most iSpring reverse osmosis water filters, this one also comes with a Water Quality Association (WQA) Gold Seal Certified.
This is one of the highest accolades awarded to water filters, that proves its effectiveness under independent testing. This unit is certified to remove 96 -98% of lead, which is among the highest rejection rates available. It will also remove pretty much every other contaminant from your water.
iSpring also has some of the best customer services in the business. This system comes with lifetime support from their WQA certified specialists, and an amazing 1-year money-back satisfaction guarantee. This is an amazing lead water filter.
- High Capacity Reverse Osmosis water filtration for safer, healthier…
- Experience clean, safe, good-tasting water every time you turn on the…
- Easy, do-it-yourself installation, typically in a couple of hours with…
The WaterChef C7000 is another NSF certified system that can remove up to 99% of lead from water (plus many other contaminants too). If the name WaterChef rings a bell it is probably because you remember it from our guide on the best countertop water filters of the year. The WaterChef C7000 is an excellent device for drinking water contaminants’ removal.
As a countertop unit, the WaterChef lead water filter attaches very simply to the kitchen faucet and saves plenty of space on your counter.
There are two really cool features about this water filter system:
1. It has an intelligent filter life monitor, that tells you when the filters are nearing the end of their lifespan. This means you always change filters at the right time, which saves money and keeps the family safe.
2. It comes with a lifetime warranty!
The filters deliver really long life and give good value for your money.
- Powerful BIG BLOCK Filtration Technology for Superior Contaminant…
- Filter More and Spend Less – Huge 1,000 GALLON Capacity! (Just ONE…
- Tested & Certified by NSF International for Trusted Performance -…
This under-sink water filter system comes with NSF International certification against NSF/ANSI standards 42 and 53. It is capable of removing not only 99% lead, but also 99% microbial cysts, 97% chlorine taste & odor, 0.5 microns of sand, sediment, rust & soil.
Some of other key features of this product include the following:
- This is one of the best under-sink water filters on the market that features 6-months of filter life;
- This unit provides high water flow rates at 1.5 gallons per minute;
- One of the highest advantages of this lead water filter is the fact that it works with maximum, advanced, and standard replacement filters;
- You should only use this filter with a potable cold water supply only.
All in all, this is a very convenient product that is easy to install and maintain, comes with plenty of benefits.
- Maximum level filtration reduces 99% lead, 99% microbial cysts, 97%…
- Tested and certified by NSF International against NSF/ANSI standard 42…
- Installs in less than 30 minutes and offers 6-month filter life
What is the Best Water Filter to Remove Lead?
As we said above, reverse osmosis is the best water filtration technology to remove lead from your water. If you want to learn more about the best whole house reverse osmosis water filters or under-sink reverse osmosis filter systems, check out this guide here!
However, there are other water filter systems that are very capable of removing lead, although you might want to read the reviews beforehand and decide whether you need to build a mix of Point-of-Entry and Point-of-Use water filters system. So let’s take a quick look at other great water filters for lead removal that we presented to you on other occasions!
- iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water System with Alkaline Filtration – an excellent device for lead and other contaminants removal that also makes your water more alkaline;
- APEX Countertop Drinking Water Filter – we already reviewed this product when we discussed the best countertop water filters and we found that it was an amazing unit for lead and contaminant removal.
- ZeroWater Filter Water Pitcher – this is one of the best water filter pitchers on the market to date, with excellent results in contaminant and lead removal. Read our full review and make sure you get the best product for your needs!
- Home Master Whole House Three Stage Water Filtration System – probably the best whole house water filter system for well water on the market today that we already reviewed, this unit is a world-class system to clean your water from sediment, impurities, heavy metals, and other pollutants.
If you’d like to know more about home water filters then have a look at our in-depth reviews. We specialize in reverse osmosis and whole house water filters.
Can You Get Lead Poisoning from Water?
Lead contamination is a common problem that recently became headline news due to the terrible events in Flint, Michigan. Yes, lead leaking in your drinking water is one of the main causes of lead poisoning. The contamination of the water supply with lead and other substances created by the process of pipe corrosion is a national issue that people are not willing to ignore any longer.
Luckily, water filters exist that are particularly effective in removing lead from drinking water.
Why Should You Get a Lead Water Filter?
Here’s some information on the background of lead. We discuss why you should be worried about it, and the steps you can take to make sure you limit your exposure to it.
Lead is a chemical element that is particularly poisonous to us. Throughout history, it has been valued as being very useful in many ways, but more recently it has been highlighted as being very dangerous.
Lead is actually a neurotoxin that is particularly damaging to children and pregnant women. Studies have linked it to causing learning difficulties through brain disorders.
The lead was long used as a building material, and that is where our recent problems stem from. It has recently grabbed headlines worldwide because of the water crisis in Michigan, USA.
How Does Lead Get into Our Water Supply?
Corrosion, damaged infrastructure, leaks, technical malfunctions, pollution, and more are the major factors leading to the lead contamination of a water supply.
How to Test for Lead in Water?
It’s important to note that lead is odorless, colorless, and traces will probably not be visible to the naked eye. This makes identifying it a problem. There are 3 ways in which you can find out though:
1. Local water systems are required by law to publish an annual water quality report.
These are called Consumer Confidence Reports, and they are published before July 1st every year. You can find your local report here. Those of you whose water comes from a private source would have to check with their local health department or test for yourself.
Note that the results of these reports are accurate for the point of testing (usually the water plant). They do not take into account any contamination that lead-based plumbing in your home might cause, or even lead in pipes that line the route from the plant to your home.
2. Have your water tested for lead by a certified laboratory
This is the best option as it takes into account any plumbing in your home. The water is tested at the point of use, so the results are more conclusive. Testing can cost between $20-$100 and local laboratories can be found by contacting your local water authority.
3. Test your water yourself
Find out how by using our guide. Make sure you get the best lead water test. It should clearly state it is a lead water test kit and not a general water testing kit aiming to reveal a large number of contaminants.
What Can We Do About Lead Contamination?
There are three main ways to go about lead contamination of your drinking water.
1. Use a water filter for lead removal
Look for filters that are certified by NSF and WQA to reduce lead. Most reverse osmosis systems will be capable of reducing lead contamination.
- You want to be looking for NSF/ANSI Standard 53 for a pitcher, faucet, countertop, refrigerator, or in-line filter.
- For reverse osmosis systems, NSF/ANSI Standard 58 deals with lead reduction.
2. Flush your pipes before using them
The longer that water lies stagnant in your pipes, then the higher levels of lead will be in it. You should run your faucet long enough for the water to get as cold as possible, before using it.
Note this should not replace the use of a filter. It can help alongside the use of a filter.
3. Only use cold water for any cooking or drinking
Hot water will contain higher levels of lead. It should be noted that more traditional methods of “purifying” water like boiling, have absolutely no effect on lead. It is reasonably safe to shower in lead-contaminated water, as lead is not absorbed by human skin.
Again this shouldn’t replace the use of a filter, it can help alongside a filter
If you have any other questions about lead contamination, then The Environmental Protection Agency and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websites have great resources and contact information.
Best Water Filter for Lead Removal: Bottom Line
We hope that our selection of the three best water filters for lead removal – and the four additional suggestions – helped you understand how to protect your health better against lead and other water contaminants.
Stay tuned, as we always update our guides with new products and technologies that prove efficient for delivering clean and safe water for all households.
Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date with all of the latest news. There’s a link at the top of the page!