Tankless water heaters are becoming really popular, which means there is a great deal of choice for today. The EcoSmart ECO 27 tankless water heater is one of our favorite such systems on the market. We have now a complete EcoSmat ECO 27 review to help you understand better what this product is all about, how it works, and if it is indeed the best choice for your needs.
If you remember our guide on tankless water heaters, the Ecosmart Eco 27 took its rightful place among the best such units on the market today. While we offer you our thoughts on this excellent device back then, it is now time to provide you with a full Eco 27 water heater review so you can make the best choice for your family.
Tankless water heaters are becoming really popular, which means there is a great deal of choice. EcoSmart ECO 27 is one of our favorite systems on the market.
Why Do You Need a Tankless Water Heater?
Before we begin our analysis, we think it is important to answer a few pressing questions. The first of them is this: what are tankless water heaters and why do we need them?
A water heater is an essential piece of equipment in every household, just like hot water recirculation pumps. Such devices offer you increased comfort levels while saving you money in the long run.
You use water to take a bath, wash the dishes, and do a lot of household chores. Heating this water with a traditional water heater, that uses a tank, is now an inefficient way of doing so. New tankless systems are more energy-efficient and save money while generating a smaller negative impact on the environment.
Tankless water heaters are the trend nowadays because they can heat water directly without using a storage tank, and they can deliver a constant supply of hot water. Basically, what happens is that when you turn the hot water tap on, cold water runs through the pipe and into the unit. The element that heats the water is either a gas burner or electricity.
If you do not have a water heater yet, or you already have one, but you are planning to replace it, you might want to read this Ecosmart Eco 27 electric tankless water heater review. It’s a tankless system that has quite a reputation and could cut your energy bills quite considerably.
EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater Review
The Eco 27 tankless water heater is manufactured by Ecosmart. It is a privately owned manufacturer of green energy technology and they specialize in the area of water heating. What’s great about Ecosmart products is that they have a goal to help their consumers save money or up to 50% of their water heating bills. They produce quality items with superior support and the Eco 27 is just one of their great products.
Before we begin explaining to you the tech specs and features of the EcoSmart ECO 27 electric tankless water heater, let’s see an overview of its performance and discuss its ratings briefly.
In short, the EcoSmart ECO 27 tankless heater comes with some impressive features at a very reasonable price. The digital controls give you total accuracy over the water temperature, so you do not waste any energy. Using Self Modulating technology, this unit is also able to adjust its energy usage according to the amount of water that is necessary. Furthermore, a lifetime guarantee is something that other manufacturers cannot match.
As users ratings go, this product features a score of 4.1 out of 5 Amazon stars coming from over 2,000 customer reviews. Dubbed an “excellent product of unmatched quality,” the Eco 27 tankless water heater is among the best the industry has to offer.
EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater Tech Specs and Features
We will present you with the key tech specs of this tankless water heater before we explain what this product does for you.
- Dimensions: 17H x 17W x 3.625D inches
- Activation Flow: 0.3 GPM
- Pipes fittings: 3/4 inch NPT
- Electrical requirements: 27 kW, 240 volts, (3) 40 required breakers, 112.5 maximum power (AMP), (3) 8 required wires
- Required Breaker Quantity: Three 40 Amp Double Pole
- Recommended Electrical Panel: 200 Amps
- Digital temperature control in 1-degree increments
- Temperature range: 80°F – 140°F
- Ideal for states where incoming water temperatures can reach as low as 37°F
- It can heat nearly 3 gallons per minute at this low temperature
- Water flow is around 6 gallons per minute, meaning you can run four showers and a sink simultaneously.
A critical feature that sets this system apart from the rest of its competitors is the lifetime warranty that comes with it. It is also able to function better than other systems in colder climates. One thing going against tankless systems is that their performance drops in cold climates. This model is designed with that problem in mind.
What Else Should You Know About the EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater?
Ecosmart considers this product as one of the most powerful among their line of tankless water heaters. It is self-modulating and technologically advanced, which means it can adjust the energy usage based on how much water users need. Here are the tech specs explained, so you can make an educated choice when it comes to buying this product.
- It has the capacity to supply hot water to a large home and can also handle a large tub or a Jacuzzi.
- The device heats 3 gallons of water per minute, which makes this heater ideal for places with water temperatures that are below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Eco 27 can produce hot water on demand and in sufficient quantities. This feature is great, especially if you and other family members need to use hot water at the same time. If you have two bathrooms at home, you can simultaneously use the shower and it will not affect the supply.
- It comes with internal jumpers that limit the heat output to a temperature of 105 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that it will never heat your water higher than that unless you make some changes. In other words, you can rely on the safety it provides for children and the elderly who live in the house.
- The unit allows control of hot water by using digital temperature control in one-degree increments.
- It has a 99.8 percent energy efficiency rating, meaning it can cut energy costs by as much as 50 percent. Its high energy efficiency can be attributed to the self-modulating flow sensor technology, which modulates the energy consumption. This process helps conserve energy while still meeting the desired heating needs of the user.
- The Eco 27 tankless water heater can work well in low-temperature areas, unlike most electric tankless heaters. In fact, it has been configured to accommodate cold climates.
- In case you wondered about its electrical requirements, know that it is best for indoors and requires a 240-volt electric service with a maximum draw of 27,000 watts.
- It only needs a small amount of space for installation. Since it has a compact design, you can save as much as 12 cubic feet of storage space.
- It has a stylish and advanced design that looks very pleasing to the eyes.
EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater Pros and Cons
In addition to the Ecosmart Eco 27’s great product features, you can also hear a lot of great comments from people who have already tried this product.
- It does a great job of heating the water and you can sure that it will deliver water at the perfect temperature.
- Installation may be complicated, but once done, the unit is very easy to operate.
- The lifetime warranty covers all parts.
- Once you install this device, you will no longer need to employ professionals for cleaning and maintenance as you can do it on your own. Easy cleaning and maintenance only involve the use of a screwdriver and then you can perform whatever cleaning needs to be done.
- There is a slight delay before the water that comes out gets hot. However, once it gets to the right temperature, you do not have to worry because you will have a stable supply of hot water. You can consider this a drawback only if you are in a hurry and you need hot water as soon as possible. Actually, this slight delay is a problem with all tankless systems, as the water cannot be delivered instantly.
- You may need to check your home’s electrical service first before purchasing this product because it requires a minimum of 200 amp total service with three 40 DP breakers to provide protection for 240 volts. If you do not meet the minimum, you have to upgrade your electrical service and this can be expensive. To avoid having to go through the hassle, always check and consult before buying.
- It does not cover warranty on labor and Ecosmart may also not honor parts warranty on DIY installations. Because of that, you may have to include the professional cost of a licensed plumber and an electrician in your budget of up-front costs.
If you remember, the Ecosmart Eco 27 tankless water heater was our top budget choice when we reviewed the best devices of the year. So here is a short rundown of the pros and cons of this product!
|Excellent tech specs and features
|Slight delay in delivering the hot water
|Easy to install, operate, and maintain
|You need to check the electrical requirements before you buy this product
|Great price for what it does
|The lifetime warranty does not cover some parts or DIY installations
Eco 27 Review: Verdict
The Ecosmart Eco 27 tankless water heater is ideal for families who live in places with colder climates. It has the power and capability to supply sufficient hot water for the whole family, so you do not have to be competing with everyone to be the first to use the hot shower. It makes clever use of technology to lower household energy consumption, and therefore bills.
Eco 27 Tankless Water Heater: FAQs
Before we wrap up this review and buying guide, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions coming from users and readers interested in purchasing this product.
1. What is a self-modulating tankless water heater?
A self-modulating water heater is a device that adjusts its own energy consumption depending on the quantity of water you use and its temperature. In other words, a self-modulating tankless water heater (like the Eco 27 unit) allows you to get the temperature you desire without consuming too much energy.
2. Are electric tankless water heaters worth it?
Yes. You may consider them to be a large investment up front, it saves you a lot of money, effort, and time in the long run. One cost you need to consider before installing a tankless water heater is the potential rewiring of your house. Other than that, as we said on previous occasions, these devices offer you comfort and peace of mind.
3. Can you use a tankless water heater with hard water?
Electric tankless water heaters are not immune to hard water problems in our homes. If you tested the water in the house and found it to be exceptionally problematic, you should also consider the installation of a water softening system. While hard water does not have a severe negative impact on your heater’s performance, hard water is a common problem and you should see to solve it. In fact, the Eco 27 system is one of the best tankless water heaters for hard water, but make sure your home is safe from limescale deposits nonetheless.
To see how the EcoSmart Eco 27 electric tankless water heater reviews in comparison to the other leading models, check out our guide to tankless heaters.
To protect appliances like water heaters from harmful scales build-up, a water softener or descaler is always a good move. You can compare the best in our guide.
If you have any questions then don’t hesitate to get in contact! We would be happy to answer all your inquiries regarding water heaters, softeners, and whole house water filters that work well in such installations!
If you ever used the Eco 27 device, we would love to hear your opinion of it and listen to your experiences!