Tankless water heaters are becoming really popular, which means there is a great deal of choice. The EcoSmart ECO 27 is one of our favorite systems on the market. See what all the fuss is about in our review.
A water heater is an essential piece of equipment in every household. You use water to take a bath, wash the dishes, and to do a lot of household chores. Heating this water with a traditional water heater, that uses a tank, is now an inefficient way of doing so. New tankless systems are more energy efficient, which saves money and makes them less impactful on the environment.
Tankless water heaters are the trend nowadays because they can heat water directly without using a storage tank, and they can deliver a constant supply of hot water. Basically, what happens is that when you turn the hot water tap on, cold water runs through the pipe and into the unit. The element that heats the water is either a gas burner or electricity.
If you do not have a water heater yet, or you already have one, but you are planning to replace it, you might want to read this Ecosmart Eco 27 electric tankless water heater review. It’s a tankless system that has quite a reputation, and could cut your energy bills quite considerably.
The Eco 27 tankless water heater is manufactured by Ecosmart. It is a privately owned manufacturer of green energy technology and they specialize in the area of water heating. What’s great about Ecosmart products is that they have a goal to help their consumers save money or up to 50% of their water heating bill. They produce quality items with superior support and the Eco 27 is just one of their great products.
A key feature that sets this system apart from the rest of the field is the lifetime warranty that comes with it. It is also able to function better than other systems in colder climates. One thing going against tankless systems is that their performance drops in cold climates. This model is designed with that problem in mind.
- It is considered by Ecosmart as one of the most powerful among their line of tankless water heaters. It is self modulating and technologically advanced which means it can adjust the energy usage based on how much water is needed the users.
- It has the capacity to supply hot water to a large home and can also handle a large tub or a Jacuzzi.
- It heats 3 gallons per minute which makes this heater ideal for places with water temperatures that are below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. A
- It can produce hot water on demand and in sufficient quantities. This feature is great, especially if you and other family members need to use hot water at the same time. If you have two bathrooms at home, you can simultaneously use the shower and it will not affect the supply.
- It has internal jumpers which limit the heat output to a temperature of 105 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that it will never heat your water higher than that, unless changes. That means safety for children and the elderly who live in the house.
- It allows control of hot water by using the digital temperature control in one degree increments.
- It has a 99.8 percent energy efficiency rating which means it can cut energy costs by as much as 50 percent. Its high energy efficiency can be attributed to the self modulating flow sensor technology, which modulates the energy consumption. This process helps conserve energy while still meeting the desired heating needs of the user.
- It can work well in low temperature areas, unlike most electric tankless heaters. In fact, it has been configured to accommodate cold climates.
- It is best for indoors and requires a 240 volt electric service with a maximum draw of 27,000 watts.
- It only needs a small amount of space for installation. Since it has a compact design, you can save as much as 12 cubic feet of storage space.
- It has a stylish and advanced design which looks very pleasing to the eyes.
Pros and Cons
In addition to the Ecosmart Eco 27’s great product features, you can also hear a lot of great comments from people who have already tried this product:
- It does a great job in heating the water and you can be ensured that it will deliver water at the perfect temperature.
- Installation may be complicated, but once done, the unit is very easy to operate.
- Parts are covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Once it has been installed, you will no longer need to employ professionals for cleaning and maintenance as you can do it on your own. Easy cleaning and maintenance only involve the use of a screwdriver and then you can perform whatever cleaning needs to be done.
However, there are also some drawbacks:
- There is a slight delay before the water that comes out gets hot. However, once it gets to the right temperature, you do not have to worry because you will have a stable supply of hot water. This can only be considered a drawback if you are in a hurry and you need hot water as soon as possible. Actually, this slight delay is a problem with all tankless systems, as the water cannot be delivered instantly.
- You may need to check your home’s electrical service first before purchasing this product because it requires a minimum of 200 amp total service with three 40 DP breakers to provide protection for 240 volts. If you do not meet the minimum, you have to upgrade your electrical service and this can be expensive. To avoid having to go through the hassle, always check and consult before buying.
- It does not cover warranty on labor and Ecosmart may also not honor parts warranty on DIY installations. Because of that, you may have to include the professional cost of a licensed plumber and an electrician in your budget of up-front costs.
The Bottom Line
It is ideal for families who live in places with colder climates. It has the power and capability to supply sufficient hot water for the whole family, so you do not have to be competing with everyone to be the first to use the hot shower. It makes clever use of technology to lower household energy consumption, and therefore bills.
To see how the EcoSmart Eco 27 electric tankless water heater reviews in comparison to the other leading models, check out our guide to tankless heaters.
To protect appliances like water heaters from harmful scales build-up, a water softener or descaler is always a good move. You can compare the best in our guide.
If you have any questions then don’t hesitate to get in contact.